Chronological Time Line

New Bremen - Tinley Park: A Chronology

Timeline created by the Tinley Park Historical Society.

1662   Illinois is part of the Connecticut "Sea to Sea" Land Grant.

1809   The Illinois Territory is established.

1818   Illinois becomes the 21st state. York Precinct includes Bremen an Orland townships.

1837   Village of Chicago is incorporated as a city.

1841   John Fulton Sr. and family arrive in the US from Ireland, settling in New York State.

1843   Bachelors Grove post office established by Stephen Rexford near present day 151st Street and Harlem.

1844   The Fulton Family acquires land near 167th and Central. Once they arrive, they begin a farm.

1845   The beginning of New Bremen starts near the junction of Bachelors and Illini Trials. A general store is erected by Mr. Kittle.

1847   Johann Henry Vogt and family immigrate from Hesse, Germany and settle near 167th and Cicero (present site of Orchard Hill School).

1847   John Fulton Sr. helps Mr. Clark from Chicago locate a site for a public school.

1847   Rock Island and LaSalle Railroad receives charter to build a railroad west from Chicago to the Pacific.

1848   Cooper's Grove post office established by Cyrus B. Ingham.

1848   Illinois Constitution allows the establishment of the township system of local government.

1849   Cook and Will counties elect the township system of local government at November elections. Bremen, Orland Worth, Palos, and Lemont Townships are established out of the former York Precinct effective in April 1850.

1850   US census population – Bremen Township: 249, Orland Township: 1,059 and Rich Township: 1,143.

1850   Local post office changes name in recognition of new township name. Bachelors Grove becomes the Bremen post office, and the Coopers Grove post office becomes the New Bremen post office.

1850   Present day Kirby School District is established as District 4 in Orland Township. First School for the district is erected near 80th Avenue on 171st Street.

1851   Chicago and Rock Island Rail Road Company formed.

1852   Construction of the Chicago and Rock Island Rail Road completed from Chicago to Joliet. First train, "The Rocket", is run in October and has to back up for return trip to Chicago.

1853   A plat for the Village of Bremen on the path of the new railroad is filed by Dr. Samuel Rush Haven.

1854   James Kiddle constructs the first commercial structure, a general store, in the Village of Bremen.

1854   Samuel Tinley, Sr. becomes the first station agent for the Bremen station on the Chicago and Rock Island Rail Road.

1854   The Pacific Hotel is opened by H. Reibling.

1854   Dr. Moses Ballard becomes the first postmaster in the Village of Bremen.

1854   Outbreak of Cholera. Dr. Ballard treats 33 individuals and 28 recover.

1855   Illinois census populations - Bremen Township: 1,036 (202 subject to military duty), Orland Township: 556 (99 subject to military duty).

1857   Carl F. Vogt (son of Johann Henry Vogt) builds a saloon and general store in the Village of Bremen at southeast corner of Die Linden Strasse and Am Markt Platz (67th Court and 174th Street).

1859   The "New Bremen Religious Society" is formed. Later known as the Orland Township or German Methodist Church. The church and cemetery are established at the southwest corner of 171st Street and 84th Avenue.

1859   Trinity Lutheran Church (also known as the Batchelor Grove Church) is established north of159th Street on Batchelor Grove Road (Oak Park Avenue).

1860   Methodists aid escaping slaves with a "station" in Bremen village as part of the Underground Railroad.

1860   US Census Bremen Township: 790, Orland Township: 1,049, Rich Township: 1,143.

1861   Company G of the 39th Illinois Volunteer Infantry is organized by William Slaughter, a Methodist minister from Blue Island; Oscar Rudd, also of Blue Island; and Amos Savage, an educator with an interest in politics from Marley. Several men from the Village of Bremen (New Bremen), Bremen and Orland Townships join the unit.

1861   Village of Bremen business community consists of Von Berge & Finsler and Carl F. Vogt, merchants; H. Reibling hotel proprietor; James Kiddle, Carl Deist, and John Hartung carpenters; M. Schneider wagon maker; Carl Deist and Carl F. Vogt saloonkeepers; H.W. Schmitt blacksmith; J. Sipple shoemaker.

1863   First public school is built in the Village of Bremen, with Mrs. Everdon as school mistress and Daniel Robinson as a teacher.

1865   Christian Andres, Sr. assumes operation of Thornworth's general store.

1865   Frederick Nielsen establishes a blacksmith shop.

1870   US Census - Bremen Village: 164; Bremen Township:1,130; Rich Township 1,539

1871   Jacob C. Funk opens a general store.

1871   German Lutherans organize the Bremen Church in New Bremen.

1872   Carl F. Vogt builds brick building in the Italianate style on the southwest corner of Batchelor Grove Road (Oak Park Avenue) and Hickory

1872   Henry Vogt, Sr. takes over the general store and saloon built by his brother Carl F. Vogt.

1872   George Bartels has large windmill built north of the village (at the present northeast corner of 171st Street and Oak Park Avenue).

1876   Christian Andres, Sr. builds a grain elevator and coal yard northeast of railroad station.

1876   George Boldt assumes operation of H. Reibling's hotel and renames it the Pacific Hotel.

1880   US Census – Bremen Village: 210, Bremen Township: 1,653, Orland Township: 1,208, Rich Township: 1,702. Manufacturing census indicates that the village contains two general stores, two wagon shops, two blacksmiths, two cobbler shops, a cheese factory, a grain elevator, and three saloons.

1880   Samuel Tinley, Sr. retires as station agent. Christian Andres, Sr. takes the position.

1880   Henry C. Andres takes over operation of his father's general store.

1880   New village schoolhouse is built to replace the 1863 school house on Kirchen Strasse (174th Place).

1881   The Bremen Church reorganizes as the German Evangelical Lutheran Zions Church.

1882   Henry Vogt, Sr provides land and parsonage for the Lutheran Zions Church.

1882   Samuel Tinley, Sr. dies.

1883   John Fulton, Sr. dies and is buried in Bachelors Grove Cemetery.

1884   John Klepper and John Mohr build new church for Lutheran congregation.

1886   Henry Vogt, Sr. builds brick general store for his expanding business. It is the first brick commercial structure built in the village and also is the first with a manual operated freight elevator.

1888   George Schreiber becomes a cobbler.

1889   Herman Stoeckmann begins soda bottling works in village.

1890   Postmaster Henry Vogt, Sr. requests the name of the post office be changed from New Bremen to Tinley Park, presumably in recognition of the village's first railroad station agent who served the community for over 25 years in the position.

1891   New name of Tinley Park is officially adopted on New Year's Day. Newspaper accounts indicate it may not have been the popular choice of the public.

1892   Peter Nielsen erects the Columbia Hotel and saloon at the northwest corner of Batchelor Grove Road and Andres Avenue (Oak Park Avenue and 173rd Place).

1892   Evangelical Lutheran Zions Church is incorporated.

1892   Citizens gather at the railroad depot to vote to incorporate as the Village of Tinley Park on June 27th. A majority vote of 34 to 24 approved the formation of the local government. The results were filed and recorded with Cook County on June 28th.

1892   Henry Vogt, Sr. is elected the first village president (mayor).

1892   William Funk opens his Undertaking, Embalming and Livery shop.

1892    First four meetings of the Village Board held at Schmaedeke's Saloon (174th Street and 67th Court). After some ill feelings over licensing of saloon keepers, the Board decides to meet at schoolhouse (on 174th Place) after that.

1893   Dr. Charles Bishop is elected village president.

1894   Fred Schmeidenicht is chosen as Village Marshall and Lamplighter.

1894   George Schreiber opens his shoe shop.

1894   Village purchases schoolhouse for a village hall at a cost of $505.

1895   New two room schoolhouse is built at the northeast corner of Hickory and Nielsen Avenues (173rd Street and 67th Court).

1895   Henry Vogt's store also becomes known as the Bremen Cash Store.

1897   The Tinley Park Union Church, also known as the English Methodist Church, is organized.

1898   Henry C. Andres elected village president.

1898   Chicago Telephone Company installs first phone in the village in Henry C. Andres' store.

1900   First water tower is erected, and distribution system installed is financed by loans from local citizens.

1900   Old public school/village hall is moved to Andres Avenue (173rd Place).

1900   Martha E. Bettenhausen acquires the Carl F. Vogt building.

1901   Henry Vogt, Sr. reelected as village president.

1901   The Tinley Park Volunteer Fire Department is established.

1901   John C. Funk takes over Henry C. Hopman's general store.

1902   Henry C. Hopman elected village president.

1902   Albert Buddenhagen becomes pastor for Zion Lutheran Church.

1903   Henry Vogt, Sr. erects Saenger Hall dance hall addition to saloon at the southeast corner of Am Markt Platz and Die Linden Strasse (174th Street and 67th Court).

1904   Diamond Spiral Manufacturing Company is established at the southwest corner of Oak Forest and Ridgeland Avenues. The company produced two models of washing machines and a butter churn.

1905   Carl Goebel acquires the soda bottling works.

1906   Christian Andres, Sr. builds Andres Block on Batchelor Grove Road (Oak Park Avenue).

1907   John M. Rauhoff opens Ironite Factory producing an additive for waterproofing concrete.

1909   Tinley Park Light and Power Company established to provide electric service to businesses, street lights, and homes in the village.

1911   Francis A. Harper elected village president.

1911   Bartels windmill is dismantled. A home is built on the site using some of the materials.

1912   Bremen State Bank opens. Christian Andres, Sr. is its first president.

1912   Henry Vogt, Sr. retires from his store and begins real estate development. A parade and a huge party are thrown at the Linden Garden for over 2,000 guests in honor of his 40 years in the store business.

1913   Water and sewer system is expanded and improved. The first bond issued to the village is used to provide the necessary funds.

1915   I.N.R. Beatty Lumber Company is founded.

1917   Goodall Aircraft Company is founded in the former Diamond Spiral Manufacturing plant. The prototype tri-wing plane did not fly well, and the plant was quickly closed.

1917   Whooping cough epidemic strikes.

1918   John C. Andres elected village president.

1918   Permits are required to raise hogs within the village limits.

1919   Gambling and the sale of liquor are forbidden in the village saloons.

1920   Diphtheria and influenza epidemic strikes village.

1921   Parenti's Ice Cream Parlor opens.

1922   Oak Park Avenue is paved.

1922   A motor car ordinance is passed, requiring a fee of $2.00.

1923   Henry W. Wyman is elected village president.

1924   Electric street lights installed.

1924   Henry Bettenhausen begins his plumbing business.

1924   New two story Tinley Park School is built to replace 1895 schoolhouse Helen B. Sandidge is hired as a grade school teacher.

1925   John C. Andres is elected village president for second term.

1927   William Funk elected village president.

1927   Tinley Park Garden Club is formed.

1927   William Semmler of Mokena begins publishing the Tinley Park Times.

1929   Grover C. Elmore begins the Poultry Farm Colony development.

1931   William J. Mohr is elected village president.

1931   New addition to the Tinley Park School is opened.

1932   Bandits rob Vogt's Store.

1933   Charles F. Nielsen is elected village president.

1933   The end of Prohibition is celebrated at Saenger Hall.

1934   First Roman Catholic mass held in former 1895 schoolhouse.

1934   Henry J. Bettenhausen opens hardware store in the Andres Block.

1934   Lack of funds causes a crisis in the local school district (146).

1935   August F. Habenicht is elected village president.

1936   Ernst E. Rice is elected village president.

1937   Francis A. Harper is elected village president for second term.

1937   Alan Cavett opens drug store.

1938   Christ Steinhagen is appointed as police chief.

1938   The Orland Township Methodist Church is struck by lightning and burns to the ground. Congregation merges with the town Methodist Church.

1939   Construction of new Methodist Church is begun.

1940   New Methodist Church is dedicated.

1941   Charles A. Nieman is elected village president.

1941   Walter Fierke is appointed as principal for the public grade schools.

1941   Dial phones replace the operator switchboard for phone service

1942   Prosperi Airport is opened.

1944   Recreation Commission is formed.

1944   Memorial Park property is acquired loan monies for the purchase.

1945   Wesley J. Stem is elected village president

1945   Centennial of Tinley Park's founding is celebrated. (Later research indicates that this celebration was probably held eight or nine years too early).

1945   A new Rock Island depot is constructed on south side of railroad tracks.

1945   Fall Festival Committee is formed.

1945   Jardine's Restaurant opens.

1946   Klepper's Bakery opens.

1946   Grover C. Elmore Plaza begins construction becoming the first shopping center.

1947   Parkside subdivision becomes Tinley Park's first major residential housing development.

1949   Rose M. Brown is elected village president.

1950   Chamber of Commerce is established.

1951   Church of Christ holds first meeting.

1952   Bert H. Fulton School dedicated.

1952   New Cavett's Rexall Drugstore opens in Grover C. Elmore Plaza.

1952   The Church of the Nazarene is organized.

1954   First Baptist Church is organized.

1954   New St. George Church dedicated on 175th Street.

1954   New Municipal Building and Fire House is dedicated on 173rd Place.

1955   New Zion Lutheran Church is dedicated on 171st Street. Former church on 174th Street sold to the Church of Christ.

1955   Tinley Park is included in the Chicago Sanitary District.

1956   Through the efforts of the Women's Club a Tinley Park Library is formed.

1956   The Village Planning Commission is formed.

1956   A tornado strikes the village.

1957   Elmer H. Knudsen is elected village president.

1958   Village Department of Public Works is formed.

1958   State of Illinois Mental Health Center opens.

1958   St Boniface Episcopal Mission is established.

1958   Faith United Presbyterian Church is founded.

1958   Tinley Park Savings and Loan opens.

1959   A new Library Building is dedicated on the southeast corner of 171st Street and 69th Avenue.

1959   Conflict over the development of a sanitary sewer system.

1960   Panduit Company opens in Tinley Park.

1961   Allen Verhage is elected village president.

1961   Tinley Park High School opens.

1961   Tony Bettenhausen is killed in a racing accident.

1962   Saenger Hall is destroyed by fire.

1962   New Post office on 17 5th Street is dedicated.

1963   A tornado strikes village.

1963   Jaycees chapter founded.

1964   John Szaton's statue "The Coal Miner" is dedicated in Springfield.

1964   Leland Rayson is elected to the Illinois House of Representatives.

1964   New Trinity Lutheran Church is dedicated.

1965   Kenneth J. Fulton is elected village president.

1966   Interstate 80 is opened.

1966   A new water tower is dedicated.

1967   Fire closes Vogt's Department Store.

1969   John T. Dunn is elected village president.

1970   Municipal and Fire facilities on 173rd Place enlarged.

1970   Village observes 125th anniversary of its founding allegedly in 1845. (Later research indicates that this celebration was probably held eight or nine years too early).

1971   Grain Elevator torn down.

1972   Tinley Park Bank is opened.

1973   Village Commission for the American Revolution Bicentennial established.

1974   Chicago water arrives in Tinley Park.

1974   Vice President Gerald R. Ford visits Tinley Park.

1974   A new Library facility is dedicated at 171st Street and 71st Avenue.

1974   Bremen Historical Society is formed.

1975   Grissom Junior High School opens.

1975   National Bicentennial Wagon Train encampment in Tinley Park.

1975   A new post office facility is dedicated at the northwest corner of 171st Street and Harlem.

1975   Bremen Historical Society acquires old Zion Lutheran Church on 174th Street.

1977   Landmark Museum is established in the Old Zion Church. Old Zion Church is recognized by the Village Board as a local landmark.

1977   Andrew High School is opened.

1980   First Oktoberfest is held on Hickory Street south of railroad tracks.

1981   Edward J. Zabrocki is elected village president.

1987   Dedication of new village hall on Oak Park Avenue.

1988   Carl F. Vogt Building is placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

1989   Buedingen Firemen's Band participate in Oktoberfest. Partnership established between Tinley Park and Buedingen Germany.

1989   Tinley Park Historic District and Historic Preservation established.

1889   World Music Theatre opens.

1990   Tinley Park population is 37,121.